Wednesday, October 16, 2013

day after day

Everyday I wake up and take my metabolism in a pill. Then, Monday through Friday, I tell the kids to get dressed and eat breakfast. Karl makes coffee. I tell my oldest to pack their lunch. I get the kids' backpacks and make sure their folders are in them. I start my car to warm it up. The kids and I say goodbye to Karl and I drive them to their schools. I come home. There are papers and mail and clutter everywhere - our kitchen counter, our kitchen table, our coffee table. I pour myself a cup of coffee and ignore the clutter. I turn on my laptop, my TV, Netflix and sit on my couch.

Two hours later, I get up and go pick up my daughter from her half-day kindergarten. Some days I remember to bring her a snack, some days I forget. When we get home, she does 20 minutes of math practice online and then plays 20 minutes of Stack the States, Angry Birds or Where's my Water. Then she throws a fit about not getting to spend more time on my iPad.

Then Karl calls and tells me he's on the way home. He's had an art class and then an exercise class.

After Karl gets home, I leave to go pick up my eldest. When we get home, they do their homework. I either run errands or play games on my phone. Then I make dinner for the kids. After dinner, time speeds up. The kids need to take vitamins, brush teeth, put on jammies (every other night take a bath or shower), then they may read. Then it is time for hugs and kisses. Our eldest reads for another hour or so and our daughter listens to a playlist on my iPad. On Tuesday evenings Karl goes to a sword fighting group. On Thursday evenings, he goes to yoga and then choir at our church.

After the kids go to bed, I eat dinner, with Karl if he's home. Then I watch TV. Then I go to bed.

On Saturday and Sunday, I sleep later. I don't have to take the kids to school.

My life revolves around my ten hours alone a week. Yesterday I called a researcher from the University of Wisconsin. He studies, among other subjects, neuro and behavioral genetics. While looking for studies to include in my upcoming TBI for Dummies guide, I found an article wherein this man was quoted as calling TBI "neuro-degenerative." So I called him to ask where he got that information. He was, it turns out, primarily referencing CTE, which is a form of TBI.

My life revolves around my ten hours alone and my ten hours alone revolve around brain injuries. Karl goes to school and creates. He sings and exercises and plays with swords. I take vacations with friends or alone. I cut out at bedtime some evenings, driving aimlessly or talking for hours to friends on the phone. I take breaks from my work, but my life is my work and my work is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment