Friday, April 3, 2020

Prayers

How can I pray for you? she asks us.
And how can we pray for you, I ask.
We ask for prayers for those who are working so hard,
we ask for discernment,
and patience,
and grace,
for ourselves and others.

Someone texts back,
a heartfelt prayer,
may we have what we need,
guidance,
and patience,
and grace.

I did not grow up in their kinds of churches,
ones with prayers and prayer requests,
ones with Bible verses.

I did grow up in their kinds of churches,
with people who cared for me and loved me.

I have not before had a group who asked,
casually,
easily,
sincerely,
how can I pray for you?

And I know that whatever I ask for, they will pray for,
heartfelt and sincere.

We share wine and secrets and gossip,
grief and shame and worry,
and we pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment